INVITATION – SAVE THE DATE!
OPEN DAY & EXHIBITION 11th December 2017 from 9:00am to 5:00pm
Hai Neem (behind Equatoria Tower), Juba, South Sudan
Click here to get a special invitation for your friends.
#defyhatenow cordially invites you to join an open day of discussions, workshops, exhibitions and screenings to reflect how the initiative has been working to offer alternative narratives in the battle against online hate speech. By raising awareness of how social media affects conflict and can be used as a resource to mitigate hate speech, and other means to actively engaging communities in peacebuilding and positive cultural exchange #defyhatenow hopes to make a positive contribution to South Sudan’s future!
Hate speech refers to information that incites, belittles or mobilizes others against groups or individuals based on their ethnicity, race, religion, gender, creed or national identity. This disturbing trend is widely practiced via online platforms, sometimes without even knowing it or realising the consequences, increasing the risk of inter-communal conflict offline. As an urgent community peacebuilding initiative formed in reaction to the way social media has been used to inflame the December 2013 and subsequent conflicts, #defyhatenow has been engaged with grassroots organizations and youth groups for trainings, workshops, and cultural activities across South Sudan, in its neighbouring countries and amongst the broader online diaspora.
The #defyhatenow team would be honored to welcome your active participation in this activity filled day, looking forward to acquaint you with project resources and activities including:
• Exhibition of photographs, videos and documentation from #defyhatenow activities
• Presenting the #defyhatenow ‘Social Media Hate Speech Mitigation Field Guide’
• Getting your voice and ideas for peace out online – interactive social media photo booth • Youths and children hands-on innovation and makerspace for collaborative arts
• How to engage with global knowledge resources such as Wikipedia for peace purposes • Preview film screening on raising on misuse of social media and likely impacts
• Culturally themed local food to crown the day!
Join #defyhatenow on Facebook, Twitter @defyhatenow
For further information, press and media, please contact:
Marina Modi <email@example.com> / Tel: +211 0955950026
#defyhatenow is a collaborative civic conflict resolution initiative funded by the zivik programme of ifa (Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen / Institute for Foreign Affairs) with means of the German Federal Foreign Office